Software development and modern IT technology are two processes that go together. One is the cause for the changes in later. Indeed technology is changing so fast that it is difficult to say what will be the next upgrade for existing ones. Every company whether small, mid-sized or multi-national- (MNC) want to leverage benefit from technology to stay ahead of others and remain competitive in increasingly volatile markets.
This growing demand of leveraging technology by companies creates scope for customized solutions for them by building on various technologies like Artificial intelligence, Machine Learning, Automation, Analytics etc.
Automation is a key area of improvement in today’s technology and software development is the root cause for this. Today software and applications have become an inevitable part of our life. Transport, Medical, Education, Military, Government institutions etc are all improving with the help of technology backed by software development.
pliXos strongly agrees with an article by Forbes called “15 Predictions For The Next Big Thing In Software Development” on what will be the next key trends in building and running applications. Below are some key aspects as from our own experience:
- Containerization: Many companies are already using this technology to simplify and improve software development. It is likely to become a standard practice by all companies in future. Containerization technique allows your development teams to move fast, deploy software efficiently, and operate at an unprecedented scale.
Fig 1. Example of Single Concern Principle of Container based Application Development (Source: redhat.com)
- Multiplatform UI Development: Of course, applications which can run easily on multiple platforms will be more in demand and useful for customers. Developing a cross platform application allows developers to use a single language for scripting. It increases the productivity as well as speeds up the application development cycle to deliver a high quality app that works on any device such as android, iOS, Windows etc.
It also increases the reach of applications developed and hence makes it successful all over. Based on our own experiences e.g. with React and React Native, we see this in the future in all front-end scenarios.
Fig 2. Multiplatform UI development using React Native (Source: businessofapps.com)
- Analytics to play a pivotal role in using Applications: With an explosion in data around the world there is an obvious rising demand for including analytics and business intelligence in Application Development so that more value can be derived from the data generated by these applications. Software dealing with data in an intelligent way will form the basis for decisions in real life scenarios, especially in the case of IOT, Machine Learning and Artificial intelligence or Robotics where Analytics will become a fundamental part of entire software/application development cycle.
Fig 3. Data Analytics and Business Intelligence as key for future apps (Source mobilemindz.com)
- Serverless Microservices: This concept can be seen similar to an evolution of Outsourcing of Application Management. Also, this can serve as a perfect base for building on distributed teams i.e. offshore, nearshore software development teams. Important on the top are the (right) agile processes and the right tools for collaboration, governance, DevOps etc. In short microservices and serverless concept of framework saves a lot of useful time and costs.
Fig. 4 Microservice Serverless work flow of Lambda in AWS (Source: Collagenrestores.com)
- Data Driven Rating Systems: Automated data driven rating systems for products and services are gaining grounds. In Outsourcing industry too customers do check the reviews and ratings of software service providers by others while considering outsourcing. pliXos here takes the responsibility for providing authentic reviews and ratings of providers to allow customers in choosing the best software outsourcing partners for their projects with full transparency in entire process.
One may also refer the customer ratings and reviews of providers to better analyze the capabilities and suitability of providers by B2B Marketplace.
Fig 5. Scientifically calculated automated provider ratings as designed for the pliXos B2B Marketplace
Additional Read: data-driven-sourcing-and-it-governance